View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:45 PM

Obsessive licking after surgery!! HELP!

Hi all. I am desperate for help. My 3 year old Beagle had surgery 2 weeks ago to have a cyst removed from his back leg joint. The incision has healed wonderfully and he has been wearing a cone for the last 2 weeks. Recently he has discovered that if he contorts his body the right way he can lick at his wound. Now normally this would not be too big of an issue but he is OBSESSIVE about licking it, to the point that is is almost becoming raw. I have tried increasing the size of the cone but he still manages to work around it. I know that the area is itchy because it is healing but I don't know what else to do to stop him from licking. I have tried prescriptions such as Panalog that I got from my vet but it doesn't seem to relive the itch. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm wondering if there is a home school remedy out there that may work or if something like Calamine Lotion could be used without being harmful. FYI...if he cannot lick at it while wearing the cone he will jab the edge of the cone into it to scratch which is starting to rub off the skin a little.