View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Post Monty

Hi. My family and I have a 14.5 year old dog named Monty. We got him from the PEI Humane Society when he was six months old. For the past 14 years he has been the best dog anybody could ever ask for. I love him so much, everybody does. We live a small community and everyone knows and loves Monty too. He has always been a friendly and outgoing dog....I don't think he has ever met a person he didn't love. Well, on February 3, 2009 Monty had to have a surgery to remove a tumor from his side. This was his first surgery and we were very, very worried. With him being 14, we weren't sure if he would make it through the surgery. But he came through it with flying colors and we were so happy. A week after the surgery he was just like a pup again. Loving life. Then, a few days later (February 12, 2009) things changed. He started having seizures. At first they were small and my parents didn't know what was wrong. He was having a lot of these small seizures....not just 1 or 2. The next morning I got a call from my sister who was crying, she and my father were on their way to the vet with Monty because the seizures had gotten worse and were violent. He went to the vet and was put on Phenobarbital. The next few days were a nightmare. His seizures were terrible. I witnessed only the small seizures, and I thought they were bad. Before the Phenobarb kicked in fully, he had 3 big seizures....biting his tongue, body thrashing against the floor and walls, loss of his bowels, etc. This was very traumatic for my family and especially for Monty. We were so close to having him put to sleep. And we were so heart broken. The thought of him not being around was very hard to handle, but seeing him in the state he was in was terrible as well. He decided to hold off because we knew it would take 2-3 days for the Phenobarb to work properly. And luckily within the next 2-3 days his seizures stopped. He started to look like himself again and we were relieved. Although he was in and is still is in a state of drowsiness all the time. He can't walk straight, bumps in to things, falls down, gets lost everywhere and it's hard to watch. He is a shell of the dog he used to be...but he's our best friend and we love him. But, on March 12, 2009 the phenobarb stopped working for him and he started seizing again. I took him to the vet rite away and got a blood sample to check his phenobarb levels. He was at a good level and we were allowed to increase his dosage. Now he is in worse shape than before, he can't get up the stairs, falls down, stumbles, get disoriented everywhere. He fell down the stairs last night. The time is coming for us to put him to sleep...I can barely even write those words. The thought of losing my best friend is really tearing me apart. I'm trying to think of how he must feel, scared and confused. But when I see him run to me and wag his tail and just to so happy I forget everything that's wrong with him. Deep down I know the time is near, but it doesn't make it any easier. He has a brain tumor, and the phenobarb will only stop the seizures for so long. He's basically been the only dog I have ever had and I love him so much. He's been my constant companion for 14 years and I can't picture life without him. It's going to be a very difficult time for me and my whole family. The thought deciding that he shouldn't live anymore is very difficult for me. It's helping me that I am not alone with this situation and is nice to talk about it.