View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2 View Post
I'm instructed just to give her about 10cc's of food tonight and then try and get at least 1 can of food into her a day.
Good plan. Did the vet give you some detailed instructions on how to feed Tus and care for the tube? It's important to go quite slow at first, like maybe 3mls per minute or less. Gradually work up the amount of food by 5-10mls per session. You also don't want the food to be cold from the fridge. And it's very important to rinse the tube with about 10mls of warm water after each feeding to prevent the tube from clogging.

Quote:
Do you think I should use the slippery elm bark as well?
I wouldn't at this point. See how she does first and if vomiting or diarrhea become an issue, maybe then it would be useful. You'll have to be very careful that the slippery elm doesn't clog the tube if you do decide to use it.

Quote:
Also I'm not supposed to take the wrapping off, but I'd like to to make sure the stitches are healing well and that the bandage is not chafing.
She may need a bandage change at the vet in the future, but for now just leave it be. It looks worse than it is and most cats adapt to it very quickly.

Good luck with the feedings. I found it worked best if I put the cat on my lap while doing it (facing away from me), but you'll figure out a system that works best for you and Tus.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler