View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2016, 04:35 PM

Feeding the outdoor birds

I have a few questions about feeding the outdoor birds. There's a bush on the side of our yard where the birds and squirrels like to look for food. My husband collects acorns from various places (so as not to deplete the supply in one area) all fall so that he can help the squirrels out in the winter. And he also spreads seeds under the bush when he takes the dogs out in the morning. He also fills a bowl of seed on the table under our kitchen window.

We've had the best time seeing the many different varieties. (Although ever since he bought a bag labeled "Cardinal food" last week Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal have not returned. )

Two questions:

1. Is there a time of year where we should taper off on feeding them?

2. what can I do so that I can enjoy them without frightening them. When I walk past the window or do dishes they sometimes get skittish and fly away. Moving the table farther away from the window worked great. They were less afraid and I got a better look but the weather has been wet and the overhang near the house gives them shelter. I wondered if there isn't something I could put on the window so I could see them but they wont see me? My cousin has a bird feeder inches from her window and she said they just get used to seeing people.