View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:49 PM
sempervivum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
On a personal level, I am curious as to how you and others would remedy the dobie situation without using my rather invasive method..
I ask as this weekend I have to work on a shelter dog with similiar issue. I would really like to try your suggestion(s) for my own observation and possible 'change of ways'.

No worries. I assume your familiar with marking and rewarding behavior? Like if you want the dog to sit, you say "yes" and treat...etc etc

what most people do not realize, is you can mark and reward for the ABSENCE of behavior. So you would reward moments where you trigger the dog on a low level and then build on it

For example, my pit bull was the same way as you describe the dobie...except it wasn't mouthing. It was licking. Obsessive, pushy licking. Removing attention did not work. So I sat her in a room and sat on the floor and did my normal "deflect the dog" routine. IN the small instant she pulled away/paused/gave up/whatever I marked and treated. Within 5 minutes of doing this, the pushy behavior disapeared. So I uped the ante slowly...leaning into her, waving my arms, standing and resitting, etc etc (one criteria at a time of course) and each time she didn't lick me/be pushy I clicked and treated (throwing threats AWAY from me (reward for position, always reward space invader dogs AWAY from you))

here is the same idea, but mouthy/bitey version. Works for adults, even tho its a "puppy" video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c77--cCHPyU

you break down the trigger (what causes the dog to mouth/push) into tiny steps where the dogs chance to succeed is high, and then reward success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
[For myself I believe each has value and a place in training. I should also say that I think those who are uncomfortable with their ability to judge when a positive punishment is merited might do well to shy away from using it. Some dogs may never need a positive correction or punishment. (Correction is a nicer term I think) Some might and not all owners are experienced enough to know the difference.

Then, if they end up calling in a trainer or so-called behaviourist in to help them they can ask if the trainer is familiar with operant conditioning and ask which of the four he/she employs
. It's nice to know your trainer has training and experience and knows more than you do and I find just a little bit of knowledge on our part can help determine this.

THIS THIS THIS. You'd be surprised how many trainers will say "huh" and not even know what OC is...run far far away... Thats like a mechanic that can fix your broken car, yet not being able to explain how an engine works...