View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatika View Post
I understand proportions to be 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organ.
Yeah that's the general guideline although some say 5-10% organ.

Because every cat is different you do want to keep a close watch on the poop, if you're consistantly seeing hard dry crumbly poop = too much bone possibly causing constipation, if you're consistantly seeing soft squishy poop or diarreah = too much organ

Quote:
So, if I generally follow these proportions and offer the following:
Quail (cleaned but otherwise whole)
Chicken (meat - thigh/breast - and RMB - wings mostly, can't seem to find necks or backs anywhere)
Pinkie or juvie mice/rats?
...as the meat

And use mostly chicken organs: liver, heart, gizzard

And offer whole fish once or twice a week, like:
Anchovies
Sardines
Mackeral
Herring
Silverfish?
Half of your organ portion should be liver & the other half heart, gizzard etc

Quote:
...and possibly supplement her diet daily with something like Wellness (I'm thinking half raw, half Wellness), will she be a healthy, happy cat? Oh yes, and an occasional raw egg is okay? Twice a month or so?

And what's the general consensus on parasite prevention? My intention is to offer her only raw food that has been frozen solid for at least 7 days, to diminish the chances of anything surviving, but should she be on a medicine based parasite prevention regimine? And should I supplement with taurine since I'll be freezing stuff? Or will the Wellness handle that okay?
You can do half & half w/canned if you like, better for their digestion if not fed raw & canned in the same meal, same day is okay though. Depending on your cat you may find her turning her nose up at the canned once she gets into raw Raw egg is fine, twice a month is good.

I soley raw feed, with most of what I use is bought fresh, given fresh if I need it the day I buy it or I package & freeze. I don't do a minimum number of days frozen, but I'm also not feeding fish. Though if you want to feed fish and are unsure about parasites remove the intestines. Avoid "Fresh" Salmon only feed frozen or steamed.

Cats & dogs have natural microflora in their intestines that take care of the bacteria from raw meat. Since their systems are so used to commerically cooked kibble/canned the number of microflora may need a boost for which you can use a probiotic such as Natural Factors Ultimate Multi - for my 12 lbs senior cat I give 1/4 capsule twice daily.

Freezing shouldn't affect taurine levels. Taurine is naturally found in heart, especially high in beef heart (if you can get your cat to eat it - mine wouldn't ). Supplementing with Wellness would make up for any lack in what you're feeding or what I do is give NuCat Vitamins twice daily

Here's a site for more reading http://rawfedcats.org/index.htm

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying