Thread: Bored of food?
View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Hi,
I just wanted to add a couple of thoughts to this thread based on conversations with my vet. I have a pair of puppies who were also really picky eaters and tended to let days go by between eating. I was really worried about them and changed their food constantly, trying to find something they liked and would eat consistently. Everything I gave them, they would eat ravenously for a day or two and then suddenly stop eating again.

When I talked about this with my veterinarian, she told me that it was really hard on their digestive tracts to be changing foods all the time. She said that I was encouraging their finicky eating habits by changing foods all the time, teaching them to keep holding out for something better.

She recommended Innova Puppy food as a really good, healthy food that would meet ALL their dietary needs. I free feed my puppies (because they are Italian Greyhounds and have tiny little tummies...) with dry Innova and twice a day I give them Innova with warm water poured over the top, which they seem to think is a treat.

When I stopped switching my puppies' food all the time, they went through another period of refusing to eat for a couple of days. But I stayed firm. And since I decided to stick with one GOOD food, they've been a million times better about eating!