View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2012, 07:45 PM

Need some suggestions for my labs surgery recovery please.

Hello, my chocolate lab just had her 3rd surgery 5wks ago and she is only 3.5 yrs old. Her first surgery was for a luxating patella on her left knee at 1yr old. 2nd was on her right leg and that was her acl or ccl i believe they call it for dogs a year later, and now her other ccl went on her left leg. This surgery was a little more complicated as this is where she had her first surgery on her knee ( wish I would have purchased insurance when i got her! ). It is so difficult ( impossible ) to keep her from not moving about 30% of the time aside from taking her outside to relieve herself as she is so energetic. I noticed her leg getting a bit lame the last week and limping a bit so I took her to see our vet. He said she is not healing as fast as he was hoping and I`m just waiting to see the surgeon when she is in town next. She has always slept with me and will not sleep in a crate so I put my mattress on the floor. I crate her duing the day
when at work and when I get home the bedroom is where we basically live for now. I asked my vet if the bed even though on the floor is too soft for her leg and he said I am doing my best but I am worried that maybe not so good for her healing process? I put a single futon on the floor first so she could sleep next to me but she tried to climb on it to sleep against me as she always does so this isn`t an option so I removed the mattress from the bed and put it on the floor. I am very worried that she has re-injured her leg but my vet says not to worry just yet until we see the surgeon. Do you think that a mattress on the floor is a bad idea? Any suggestions/ideas? Am I over-reacting? Every hour or so she moves around on the bed when we are watching tv and sleeping. Thanks for any info just lots of stress as this is the 3rd surgery and seems like the hardest one. Thnks again.