View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM

I agree with Bailey that a prong collar is overkill. I am by no means against correctional collars on the other hand. To me a prong is a lazy way of training a dog.

LuckyPenny:

If trained properly with corrections, the dog is not obeying out of fear. Correctional training falls in with the dogs natural inhibition of correction. The dog while growing up, received discipline from it's mother through biting of the neck. This can be imitated with a correctional collar, and should be combined with physical praise. Which is why alot of PetStore/PuppyMill dogs react so negatively to a correction. Because they were never taught this method of thinking by their mothers.

It is important to never use your hand while correcting a dog. This is how a dog gets the idea to bite someone. If the dog has NEVER known physical touch as correction(even using your hand to push on the dogs butt to make him sit), he will never fear the physical touch.

I've known dogs who have been trained with/out treats and/or with/out corrections, who have bit people. 95% of the those dogs owners, had admitted to using the hand/physical touch to correct the dog in one way or another.