View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:57 AM

Cost of Vet services.+++

This is one of my "pet peeves" PUN INTENDED. I can remember further back than most of you ('cause I'm older) and in the 40's a vet was still a college graduate with a medical degree in Vet Science however their services were more in line with what we would expect to pay and hope to pay today. Over the last 50 years pets have become more a member of the family and the Vet Dr.'s (having a streak of greed in them,) have discovered that as we become more identifiable with our pets and consider them an interegal part of our extended family we will pay more to keep them healthy and they( the vets)want their slice of the pie. The vet we use (simply because there isn't another one within easy driving distance) charges extra for each service he provides during surgery. For example if you are going to have a bladderr stone removal surgery the surgery will run about $500.00 then there is an extra charge to hook up monitoring equipment such as blood gases- heart monitoring, etc. As each service is added the cost escalates by $50.75.00. The pitch goes like this. "The surgery is $500,00 but then if you want to give (insert name of pet) a better chance we can do this and that (insert services and costs). You do want your friend to get the best possible care don't you? Well without these extra services ( insert name of pet) could die from conditions we aren't monitoring. So much for quality care and the animla's best interest at heart. Many vets look on the care of the injuried or sick pet as simply a money making venture. The quality of their care of your pet simply hinges on how much they can soak you for. I can remember when you took your pet in for a procedure and the vet did their best to give your pet the best service and care. I know costs have escalted for vets too but they are masters at playing the heart strings of the grieving or anxious pet owner and soaking the owners(us) at a weak moment.
No wonder people feel their vets are no better than used car salemen.