View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:02 AM

Shelbysdad2, I can truly sympathize with you! :sad: My one dog has had terrible allergies for years and it has been a losing battle. We have done steroid pills, injections, supplements, shampoos, sprays, all types of dog food with novel proteins (duck, fish, etc.) and nothing has worked! Sigh, it's so frustrating!

I actually joined this forum to learn more about raw, & I have switched all my dogs in an attempt to help with the poor little guys allergies!

I would defaintly try a grain-free and poultry-free dog diet, as that seems to be what most dogs are allergic to. Orijen is grain-free and they have a fish diet which is also high in omega-3's which is great for the skin. You can also pick up a bottle of liquid omega-3 dietary supplement at most vet clinics and give a few squirts in his food (I cheat and use Shopper's salmon and fish oils pills instead - much cheaper!)

I have heard lamb seems to work with many dogs with allergies... didn't work for my guy but maybe worth a shot?

I know you can also test for allergies at the vet clinic... I have thought about it, but most of the vets I have talked to have said its not very conclusive and allergies are usually to multiple things (some of which you can't control very easily!).

Good luck and keep us posted!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama