View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:52 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Lp I use Scott Weed & feed and it works very well.....
Is there a time frame that pets should be kept off the lawn after it's application? I went to a gardening center yesterday and an employee showed me a brand that's supposed to be super gentle and completely safe. Only problem is it's 25$ a bag and I'll need at least 20 bags .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Maybe you could teach Nukka to be on dandelion patrol!!
Oh, she already is . When she's not playing, she looks like a cow at pasture .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Mmmm, I vaguely remember answering your morning glory question before. Guess you didn't like my answer.
I actually took your advice . I moved it into a less sunny spot, stopped fertilizing, and am careful not to over water. The leaves look much healthier but they still don't want to bloom .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Did you start the seed yourself? What did you use for soil? Did you add fertilizer? It is quite possible the soil is just too rich for the morning glory. If you got it from a nursery then they probably used fertilizer to "boost" it along. Therefore you probably won't get flowers this year.
I bought the plant already started. It actually had a couple of blooms on it at the time . I did use soil specifically for container plants so maybe too much fertilizer there? I read that they don't take well to transplanting...after I transplanted it to a larger pot . Maybe that has something to do with it too.

Are they perennials? I can save the plant overwinter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
I love clover and don't mind the dandies either but to keep the bees happily in their place (i.e. not in my lawn) I planted "bee balm" in a big patch where I don't wander (and out of the fenced yard) so the bees go there and leave us alone.
Great idea!! I'm definitely going to try that. I love clover too, don't mind dandelions either as long as they haven't taken over the lawn completely .

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Lilacs... new trees need lots of water, so don't be stingy there. Powdery mildew is really common and I think i've heard the same that it's worse if the trees are crowded, since your trees are new I doubt that's the issue but, they may have come from the nursery with the spores already on them.
You're right, overcrowding is not an issue, there's at least 5 feet between them and the tallest is approx. 3 1/2 feet. Planted in an open area where they get plenty of circulation (there's almost always a breeze here).