View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Currently Catless - In need of advice

Hi everyone!

I'm so happy I discovered this forum. I have been reading some posts and, I have to say, I really admire and respect your love for animals. I decided to join the forum because I am sure I will find good advice here.

I'm 31 years old. I just moved to the GTA from Mexico in July. In Mexico we lack a culture of love for animals. I had always thought of myself as a "cat lover" but it wasn't until some years ago, when my Canadian bf moved in with me and we adopted two cats, that I began to understand what it really means to be an animal lover; now that I'm reading your posts I am educating myself even further. Canadian bf and I broke up some time ago and I feel my cats and my new outlook towards animals are the best thing to have come out of that relationship.

Here is where I need your advice. I left my cats, Rocky and Chatito, in Mexico with my parents (my sister and her two children live in the same house as well). I call every single week to check up on the cats. My biggest concern is that they will run away because of how the houses are built there, they can easily scale the walls and go onto the roofs of the neighbouring houses. Rocky has already gone missing twice for up to a week because he is such a fatty that he couldn't get back over the wall. My mom has him sleep in her room now but during the day, he's free to roam.

I came to Canada thinking that I would bring my cats over once I was settled in with my other-new-Canadian-bf-now husband. Unfortunately we live with my in-laws and supposedly they were allergic. However, we learned that they are not allergic when we cared for a friend's cat for a month (what's up with ppl claiming cat allergies so loosely?).

Anyway, now the "path" has been cleared for my cats. Problem is...how hard is it to bring a cat into Canada? I'm aware of the vaccination regulations. But what else should I consider? I'm having some more doubts because the trip is so long. I have already put my cats through three moves: twice within the same city and the other was a two hour trip to my parents'. To get from where my parents live to Mexico City or Guadalajara where I could fly from to Toronto is a 6 hour bus ride, add to that another 4.5 hours of air travel and the extra hours at the airport. Is that a little much or can they take it? Help.