View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:29 AM

I hate to be the devil's advocate here, but I don't really think it is fair to blame the innocent bystanders who pet your dog. If you walk your dog close to other people, knowing that your dog is not trained well enough to maintain his/her composure, perhaps it is not the "other people" who are at fault for setting back your dogs training?

I agree that picking up your dog, jumping on the back of your dog and feeding your dog is completely inappropriate. However, if you take your dog onto an elevator and do not say first off that he is in training so please do not touch, it is natural for people to want to coo at your puppy. I find it hard to beleive that in each of your pre-dog training years that you never did that too!

To that end, it is highly unlikely that these people are viciously trying to set your dogs training back. They, like me in my earlier days, likely think they are being nice--and helping to socialize your puppy.

IMO I think that it is the owner's responsibility to ensure that the people around your dog do not engage in any activity you feel is going to harm your training process. I don't think it is fair to blame or be angry at people who perhaps know nothing about what it takes to train a dog....