View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:24 PM
Senior Contributor

sorry forgot to mention after reading additions by iron knight,
QUOTE'products and who may still use animal products such as leather, fur, etc. ' that sounds very american such strict definitions are not often used here. i have not had many ppl give a description as that above (i have heard it but not much).
i will only use secound hand animal products (leather, fur), i do not buy them as demand =supply and im not going to have one more cow killed for my shoes, i would rather wear none, but secound hand is just using the animals skin respectfully to me, it died for it so use it as long as you can, recycle that product as many times as possible so that animals life was not wasted and its sacrifice respected.
our cloths are all cotton, hemp or recycled plastic fibers and come from sources that are kind to the environment. we have plastic recycled cloths, that is a technology where recycled plastic bottle materials are reused to make various fabrics, the bush walking brands of mountain design and kathmandu sell these products..
i also op shop and collect all secound hand cloths that are nice, i will recycle anything i can, including clothing, a worn out dress becomes a cloth, then perhaps a polishing cloth, then a rag, the it ends its lifecycle on the compost heap or worm farm.
these days i can get recycled anything and dont have to buy brand new, i can even get recycled shoes, that is shoes with a base made out of recycled tyre matierial.