View Single Post
Old August 19th, 2013, 05:44 AM

weak hind legs, dizziness, lethargy, bloodwork fine, baffled!

Hi all,
this is my first time posting here although i have followed many threads on various occasions. One of my cats is showing symptoms which are similar to many posted in this thread. I have outlined symptoms below.
Beekeeps seems to have the same issue too with her cat, I wonder whether there has been any development?

Our vet is stumped and cannot suggest anything constructive. We should be doing a test for Thyroid soon to check for that too.

SYMPTOMS AND INFO:
My cat has been very weak on the hind legs, walking as though his is dizzy. He loses his balance easily. He is lethargic most of the time and barely has the strength to walk around. He eats reluctantly most of the time and i have to hand feed him to entice him to eat. He kind of 'stares' very often with a dead gaze...
He moans when i pick him up. He does enjoy being brushed... I suspect he doesn't have the energy to groom himself. He seems to have dandruff too now.

He has just started shaking today... hind legs and also his head I cannot comment about his litter usage as I have 3 cats.

His bloodwork is all fine, no sign of diabetes either. Thyroid hasn't been tested yet.
He eats wet food, mostly canned Whiskas as he doesn't like much else. Sometimes he accepts to eat the raw food that I feed my other cats. Now he is eating canned tuna sometimes.
He has lost quit a bit of weight too

We can't determine his age as he was adopted as an older cat. He is definitely older than 5yrs. He does go out, but not very far, mostly in surrounding gardens or small field next door.

We vaccinated him a few months ago [vet thinks this might be a cause] and recently had to sedate him to take his blood to be tested. The sedation had a very strong impact on him - it knocked him out very much.

He had one good day last week - more energy and he even jumped onto a low wall! That was the only day and after that, back to usual.

We are in constant contact with out vet who is baffled by this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you!