View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:54 PM

Cat with blood clot/ paralysed hind legs

Hi,

My 3 yo male cat injured his paw five days ago and the prognosis was a dislocated toe. The vet anaesthetised him and reset the toe and he seemed to be recovering fine after that. Approximately 36 hours after his procedure he became restless, began crying out in pain, breathing rapidly and dragging his back legs. We thought it must be his toe causing pain so took him back to the vet the next morning. Unfortunately he has been diagnosed with a blood clot in his spine and is paralysed in the back legs. It is very painful for him.

The vet has suggested we can try treatment to attempt to remove the clot. However, the likelihood of recovery is slim (about 10%) and the chance of blood clot reoccurence is high within weeks or months. The vet also said that it is not likely a complication from the anaesthesia but more likely due to a previously undiagnosed heart condition. This is apparently quite common in young cats.

Can anybody offer me any advice about what course I should take? Either expensive treatment or euthanasia. Obviously I am devastated and do not want him to die, but don't want to prolong his pain if it is something that can't be fixed. Has anybody else had a cat that has experienced these problems? What did you do? Is there a vet online who might be able to give me their opinion on his chances of recovery and response to treatment? Is this something that was likely aggravated by the anaesthetic or the stress of his paw injury?

He is currently at the vet on painkillers and I need to decide what to do in the next few hours

So sad....
monster