View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for the update

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
Update:

So I think he is probably eating enough. I will continue to monitor his weight though. We do leave the wet food out all day (well we feed him 2-3 times a day). If there is a lot left in the bowl, I'll add some water and mix it in with new stuff.
I also leave wet/raw out all day and also feed 3 times a day, however, any food that is left over, I do throw out (not that there is ever much food with my two piggies, Rose and Sweet Pea )

As long as he doesn't start losing weight I guess he is eating enough, its as 14+ mentioned, he just gorged when his diet changed. But he's a grazer by nature. And he is also fussy and seems to dislike the food sometimes. He might skip a meal but he will eventually eat when he gets hungry enough. I'm going to pick up a variety of different flavours and brands this time around and see if variety makes him happier
When I had my cats on only Wellness, they too would got through spurts where they wouldn't touch it, that is one of the reasons I changed to Nature's Variety Instinct as their main food, Wellness and others as their secondary food.

Finally with water, I understand he is getting more water from his food now but he is literally not drinking any water at all from his bowl. Can he get enough from his food? We even tried buying a fountain for him but he wouldn't have any of it.
I feed my cats 50/50 raw canned and add some hot water to the raw, then mix it with their slightly warmed canned. The only cat who drinks water is Jasper and he doesn't drink a whole heck of a lot. Cats have an extremely low thirst drive (hence why they should only be on canned) so normally they get enough water through their diet .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey