View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

All kitties are different have different ways of expressing their feelings. I think she will settle in with some patience from you and your family.

It sounds like your kitty is afraid of humans. Ragdolls are normally very social kitties that are more dog-like than cat.

Do you know what her home life was like before? Was there children that used to torment her? Have humans abused her?

Is she spayed? If not, you may want to consider doing that as soon as you can as it may be hormones taking a role into her personality.

I think you are doing the right thing by ignoring her. Allow her to make the first move to you (hopefully it won't be aggressive). If you have the time, sit on the floor by the bed she is hiding under and just ramble on. Have some treats on the floor around you to entice her out. If she comes out don't move, don't try to pat her, just allow her to get the treats and run back under the bed. Over time she will realize that you do not intend to harm her. Depending on her background, it could take a long time to gain her trust.

As she does come to you more often, you may want to try to offer her treats from your hand, or to play with her with a string.

If you have small children, you may want to keep them away from her until she has settled in. I would hate to see one of your children scratched or biten.

Probably the worst thing you can do is yell or punish her.

Good luck and if you have any pics, I would love to see them

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey