View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM

JRT with broken pelvis

Hi there.

We have a 3 year old female JRT who tried to outrun a pick up truck last Monday. We drove her to the vet right away where she stayed 2 days.

It turns out that our little one broke her pelvis. Her left side in 4 places I believe, her right side in one place. She was looked at by 3 doctors who agreed to put her on cage rest, metacam, stool softener as well as sedatives for the night.

Now I would personally say that she is doing rather well. She eats, drinks, goes to the bathroom outside where she also takes a couple of steps every so often. She has also started to clean herself which unfortunately turns me into a nervous wreck. She seems fine doing it but I always see that x-ray in my head and I just get scared seeing her leg up in the air and her twisting and turning. She is quite careful but in my head there is only that x-ray. So yeah, she doesn't make a whole lot of noise. Most of it seems to be cries for attention. She is a little restless today tho which I don't like.

She isn't all too comfi going to the bathroom but who can blame her. Today she seems to be obsessed with her bum. She licks it and sniffs it and something seems to bother her. Or maybe she is just bored?! She also has quite smelly farts today but her last wet dog food had veggies in it so I dunno. Could it be the gas that's bothering her?

Has anyone had any experiences with broken pelvises? I'd love to hear about it. I've never dealt with animals and broken bones before and I have a tendency to worry over nothing. The fact that she is kinda restless and so busy with her bum bothers me for example but I don't wanna overreact cos otherwise she appears fine. Like I said, she eats and drinks (more eating than drinking it seems), walks, gets up by herself to walk on the pillows in her little pen.

I just get so worried and I'd really like to hear some opinions/ thoughts/ stories.

Thanks