View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Diarrhea in 5 month old puppy

Hi, I'm not sure whether to be posting this in this forum or if it'd be better in the health forum but I thought since the pup HAS seen the vet, I'd get some advice here.

My brother's new pup Blue has had loose soft poops for about three weeks now. The first week they noticed him having really bad squirty diarrhea and immediately took him to the vet. Vet prescribed some pills for ten days (sorry, don't know what it was exactly) and a diet of potato/hamburger, feeding only 4-6 tablespoons a few times a day. After the pills were done, his stools went mostly back to normal with the occasional very soft one. But now the runs are back (not the liquid kind, just extremely soft ones) and he's lost some weight. Blue's attitude and energy levels are the same, he has been dewormed since my brother got him and all his vaccinations are up to date.

My question is: what can be done to stop the loose stools? Vet did a full blood panel and check up, everything was normal. Blue is eating Acana Large Breed Puppy (as we think he is a lab/sharpei X) when his poops are normal, but that is so rarely the case at this point. I'm wondering if had something to do with the food being so much more richer in nutritional value. I changed my dog over from his rescue food, to Iams in the 2 weeks and there was no problem. Then I changed him over to Orijen and I had to keep mixing it for about 2 months before my dog's stomach got used to it. Any time it was just the Orijen, he would have loose stools. Could this be why the puppy is experiencing the same thing? I know when my bro got Blue, the rescue only gave him enough of his old dog food to mix it for 4-5 days.

Some more information: Blue is getting a chicken/potato/kibble mixture at the moment as I thought maybe that would help ease the kibble back into his digestive system. He gets no other treats and is watched like a hawk so he doesn't eat anything he shouldn't (like berries off trees or mulch!). I was thinking of recommending some pumpkin puree to try to help firm up his stools from reading that on this board.

I'm not sure if we should get different kibble for the pup, if maybe he just isn't doing well on it, but he was fine on it for about a week before the runs started the first time. I'm also not sure if introducing yet another food is a wise decision at this time. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S Blue right now is getting about 2 cups of potato/kibble (more potato than kibble) three times a day.