Thread: My betta
View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

The lifespan of a betta can vary greatly, but it's not unusual for them to live at least 3 yrs. A well taken care of betta can easily be expected to live over a year, and there is a even a chance of them living 8 yrs or more (though rare).
A 1 yr lifespan or less may be expected in an unfiltered container with poor water quality, but this should by NO MEANS be considered their normal lifespan. If most of your bettas die after a year or less, something is likely wrong.
Quote:
NEVER change the water completely, always bring down the water about one third,the ph will change to much if you do a complete water change.
That can't be known unless you test the water in the container and the water you're doing the water change with.
The water in my tanks is generally 7.3, the water out of my tap is 7.4. If I use straight tap water and did a 100% water change the change in PH would not be noticeable by most fish.
It's a good idea to test the PH of your water, but you can't automatically assume there is a difference in PH between the tankwater and new water.