View Single Post
Old November 4th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Senior Contributor

They will need their second set at about 9 weeks of age. Kittens are vaccinated in a series of 3 shots at 2 to 4 week intervals. The FVRCPC vaccine includes protection against rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, panleudopenia and chlamydia. Leukemia and FIP vaccinations are given with the FVRCPC vaccine. Kittens older than 4 months that go outside are encouraged to receive a rabies vaccine also. I was hesitant about rabies since YY never goes outside but she is a therapy cat and comes to work with me so I thought it was prob best she have it.

I do not however believe in annual vax for cats, especially indoor kitties. Every 3 yrs is prob fine. But I recognize this issue is debated - even amg vets. My own vet - who heads her prov professional body, does not recommend annaual vaccines. (thankfully - I would not want to debate this with her, lol)

Here is one schedule: (tho some vets combine steps 3 and 4)

6 Weeks Distemper, deworming, fecal flotation, and combo test, for FELV (feline leukemia) and FIV (feline immunodeficiency)
9 Weeks Distemper, 2nd deworming
12 Weeks Distemper, FELV #1
16 Weeks Distemper, Rabies, FELV #2, FIP #1 (feline infectious peritonitis), and Fecal Flotation

Last edited by CyberKitten; November 4th, 2005 at 11:45 PM.