View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2006, 01:10 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

1-1.5 Year Old Peeing in House Occasionally

A girl at work has a 1 or 1.5 year old Cairin terrier/poodle mix, female, NOT spayed who occasionally pees in the house. She asked if I knew how to make her stop. I asked her numerous questions, but I'm not sure why her dog is doing this. The only thing I could think of was that because she had peed on the carpet before, she can still smell it and will continue using that spot - although she has a few spots where she pees.
They do crate her at night and when they are not home. She will pee 2 or 3 times in a month and then be fine for 2-3 months before it happens again.
She also pointed out, the dog does not pee in the crate .
I asked about exercise and attention - both good. She does have 2 cats, but they hang out downstairs(basement) and the dog is upstairs.

One incident is, they were outside, the dog kept barking so they put her in the house. The dog then peed on her bed - she has never done that before.
This girl feels bad about crating the dog when they leave and at night.

My suggestions to her were:
1) Clean the urine spots in the carpet with a urine removing product. I told her she would have to repeat this over and over until the smell is gone.
2)Basic potty training again - most of you know the routine I'm sure.
3)Remove water dish early evening until she can hold it thru the night.

What would any of you do in a situation like this, or how would we go about putting a stop to this??