View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

To start off with I think it is more important to know your breeds first and have an understanding on how to evaluate the dog itself and focus on the dog as an individual being. Knowing what the dog's limitations are and working on finding the correct method to use based on pre-dominant traits within the dog. Also, it is important to know the limitations of each dog based on traits/breed/temperament. It is not generic and full understanding of the dog itself should be considered. To me, this would be step one before becoming a good trainer. As for training methods itself, I personally think it is important to attend as many seminars as possible, as well as learning about a variety of different methods. I do not believe that one method is better than another, and based on the dogs you train, there should not be generic thinking behind the methods to use. I grab all that I really like, consider the possibilities of those that I am not fond of..but do not discard either. Keeping an open mind is the most important when it comes to training. What works for one, may not for another. Best practice is to consult with other trainers that are seasoned. Listen, watch and learn. As a trainer it is important to feel comfortable with your approach and it is equally important that your customers agree with your methods. Really, one of the biggest challenges are the humans and not the dogs. As a trainer you will be praised by some and not so by others. You will gain your following based on results seen in the dog. The people are the ones to follow up on thereafter as training, behavior modification and any other fixes or adjustments rely on consistency and continuation of the tools given to the owners. That is the biggest challenge.