View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I Inherited My Mom's Budgie, Tweetie

When my mom passed away in November, I inherited Tweetie. I don't know anything about birds, so I may have a lot of questions as I go along. I don't know how old he is. Mom used to have 2 birds together and they just paid attention to each other. The other bird pretty much dominated Tweetie. About 3 years ago the other bird died and Tweetie has become much more social since. I give him fresh seed (budgie mixture) every morning along with a pinch of dried field greens. He has a cuttle bone, fine sandy gravel with white flakes in it (looks like small flakes of cuttlebone) and I bought him a honey/fruit/seed bar. I also change his water every morning and change the paper in the bottom of his cage twice a week. He loves 50/60's era music on the TV and chirps quite happily along with it. Is there anything else I should be giving him? He's never been loose out of the cage, so I haven't taken him out. His wings are not clipped and I'm afraid he might panic if I do so. I'm also afraid one of the dogs would grab him or he might fly afoul of the ceiling fan. He does seem active and happy. How long do Budgies live? Mom said he was old, but he seems healthy and happy.