View Single Post
Old October 17th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I will always be grateful to my vet for coming to my home to do it after he got off work. We had taken him (Den-Den2, 13yo) in for emergency surgery because of a bowel blockage. It was discovered he had a tumor. They did a biopsy and took him home hoping it would not be malignant and we could control the bowel problem through diet. When the vet called and said it was malignant and, in his opinion, inoperable, I was devasted! The vet said it was my decision. If I chose to have him try to remove it, he would, but that it would involve splitting his pelvis to be able to get at it. At 13yo, I just couldn't put him through that. I accepted my vet's judgement. I took the day off and spent one last day with him until the vet came. He wasn't frightened as I know he would have been if we had taken him to the vet's office. He died at home in my arms and it was the hardest thing I have ever done. My hubby just couldn't handle it and couldn't be there. It eventually caused some serious problems that he wasn't there for me and I had to go through it alone. When Den-Den3 died 18 years later, you can bet we were all together.