View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Spoiled - I"m only human, and DO lose it once in awhile after hearing the same stories and lame excuses HUNDREDS of times.

My post is harsh, I admit, but it's addressed to ALL the people who have, or will, breed their cats and dogs carelessly and leave the mess for others to clean up.

I see cats who have been thrown from moving cars, left in cardboard boxes in parks, dogs dumped on the street BLIND and defenseless, cats left to have litter after litter (many of which I end up with), ditched on highways, left in empty apartments to starve, entire litters of kittens left in garbage bags like trash, dogs taken to be euthed because their coats are matted...shall I go on?

Emails saying "My dog had puppies and all the friends and family who said they wanted one changed their minds and we can't possibly keep 7 puppies. Can you take them? If not we will have to send them to the SPCA."

And

"I can't afford to have my cat spayed and she keeps having kittens. Can you take 3 (or 4 or 18) cats? Please come and get them today."

I'm on this board for the animals, and not to coddle irresponsible people who exploit them and thoughtlessly bring more into a world glutted with them. Some people need a wake up call, and I cannot think of a much worse reason to breed your dog than that your friend wants a puppy but is too cheap to pay a reputable breeder for one.

Sorry if that offends you.