View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor

The Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth

Some images from the 2010 Calgary Exhibition & Stampede yesterday . . .

Cowboys run into the infield in the opening ceremonies of the rodeo . . . .

Below, it was tough riding. On the final day tomorrow, the winner of each event gets $100,000 I believe, small consolation to the five horses which have died at this Stampede . . . . and one severely injured young lady who had a horse collapse on top of her.

Below, topsy turvy fun on the Midway . . . . . an accident on the Midway yesterday just after I left injured ten, some severely.

Below, three times a day there is a free Rock n' Roll skating exhibition with a live band and Elvis Stojko, former world champion, and the pair below, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, gold medalists in Ice Dancing at the 2010 Winter Olympics. And a large cast of other skaters at the Corral.

More Virtue and Moir

Their signature move from the Olympics . . .

Some other action from skating . . .

Leaning into it with antici . . . . . . . pation on the Midway

Way toooooooooo fast . . .

Below, a looming and ever expanding Calgary skyline overlooks the traditional Aboriginal village

Applauding a solid effort in the cutting competition.

Milking Betsy . . . .

The tractor pull for kids . . . .

Below, the Midway. More than 1 million visitors pass through ever year and 350,000 lined the streets to watch the two-hour parade. Calgary is a denim-clad city through Stampede and always comical to see a newcomer showing up for work anywhere in the city in a suit and tie.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca