Thread: Lab/Husky
View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
I have a husky lab. She's beautiful but she has been through 4 homes before us. People couldn't handle her energy. In general, labs are high energy, excitable dogs (after about 5-6 years they calm down... well, some do.) and huskies have endurance like madness. So what you get is a dog who wants to play ALLLLLLLLLLLL day and never gets tired of it. Sure, the husky side brings vocal stuff, but that's fun. The husky side also brings HEAVY, HEAVY shedding a few times a year and the lab side brings medium/light shedding year round. The husky side will bring stubbornness and dominance and the lab side will bring intelligence (not that huskies aren't smart, of course!) and loyalty. Labs do chew. Huskies get bored easily. Put the two together, and you get relentless chewing. Jemma ate a whole dining room set before we got her- chairs and all!

So basically, you get a super-energetic dog who can be crabby with other dogs, can be very hard to train despite its intelligence, and that sheds and sheds and sheds. You have to be ready for at the very least 1 full hour of running with this doggy every day. The less you run, the more the doggy will chew. You also have to be ready to bring the dog for obedience as huskies are very pack oriented and will quickly move to the top if they see you aren't strong enough.

I suggest you start with an older dog, maybe 2 or 3 years old and probably a lab. They're much more willing to learn and chances are they'll be housetrained and won't chew as much (they'll still chew, just not as much).

Don't get me wrong, I love Jemma. But she's not a dog for beginners.

Here she is being "Jemma".
I LOVE this picture it is absoloutely brilliant!!!!