Thread: Hi, I'm Emma.
View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:32 AM
Animal Beh. Ph.D Student

LP,

From someone that has worked with SN's animals for over 20 years from Rescuing them to my extensive behavoural work to physically plus mentally rehabilitating them to training them plus new owners of those SN's that we do adopt out; there are very few places that I could/would honestly recommend that would be qualified as proper resources/support system/training places for SN's. It is an unfortunate reality......:sad:

In my program, I train via a mixture of ASL and made-up hand signals, I use light training in the turning off and on of lights ie outside in the fenced in yard to 'come in' etc.(not lasers as some dogs/breeds can be predisposed towards OCD), I use vibration training via the banging of door jambs and floors(yet not vibration collars...that is just a personal and professional preference), plus touch and scent training.

I shall always been the proud owner of at least one SN's GD for as long as I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Because they're full, or classes only start back up mid-August or September after the summer holidays, or that they don't have the resources to work with a hearing impaired dog...all sorts of reasons...I'm guilty of wondering if some that I spoke with were just looking for excuses .

Last edited by BHRR; September 2nd, 2008 at 12:38 AM.