View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petdr View Post
This sounds like epiglottal entrapment, and can show up at any time. I see it usually in overweight dogs, however lean dogs also can be troubled. The epiglottis is a flap of tissue that will close over the trachea while swallowing. The esophagous lies above the trachea and if this flap of tissue were not automatically engaged by a neurologic reflex to close over the trachea, then food/water/saliva/mucous/etc. would enter the lungs with dire
consequences.

If there is excessive soft tissue (elongated soft palate, skin
folds, fat, etc.) then the epiglottis can be caught in the closed position, consequently the dog has difficulty getting adequate breath. Panic ensues further adding to oxygen deficit, and fainting/blacking-out may occur.

The condition is not considered lethal but does impact life quality. In severe cases surgery is an option, however if the dog is overweight, then dieting may be all that is needed. Have your veterinarian evaluate her and make recommendations based on the severity of her condition.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Dr.Van Lieden, my 8 yr old pom has been having cyanosis episodes that have progressed over a year. he was slightly overweight, but has lost the extra weight and still having problems. he is surgery today to have his palate trimmed at u. penn.pa.the Dr. said his palate was mildly elongated and a moderate stenotic caudal nasopharynx. my question is after surgery will that help with opening of airway? have you had similar cases were surgery helped.

Last edited by patsea; February 22nd, 2010 at 09:02 AM.