View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:42 AM

On-line research for autoimmune PF

Thanks for your interest. I've just started doing research on-line and have only found confirmation about the steroid treatment as the first course, progressing to what they term "chemotherapy" or Cyclosporine. I did find reference to vitamin E, and will ask my vet about it, if I stay with this vet. I also found a vet dermatologist in my area that lists herself as "holistic". I'm concerned about the side effects of immune suppressant drugs, which is what is recommended. Sassy stays indoors, but with the thyroid, heart murmur and elevated liver count, suppressing his immune system sounds very scary to me. And a lot of the articles I found talk about the bad side effects of prednizone. None of the articles so far mention the kind of soak to do.

Just so you know, he seems like he's doing okay, very affectionate and cuddly, normal elimination and eating. But not being a cat person, I'm can't tell yet if he's in pain when he walks or licks/chews on his paws. I asked the vet whether his constant purring while he's on my lap and just laying around is really contentment and happiness (the vet said yes). My intuition tells me when he's on my lap and kneading my chest and purring for 15 minutes at a time, that he's trying to soothe himself and manage discomfort. I do know he responds well to Reiki (that's hands-on energy healing): he actually places his neck right in my hand wear the tumor is, and then stays there for 30 minutes or more. So I do that morning and night while we're watching TV.

I love the little guy, so I hope he survives/thrives!