View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredangel View Post
Family and friends keep telling me 'she'll eat when she's ready'.. but it's been over a week now!
They know nothing about feline physiology and shouldn't be giving "advice" like that. Cats are unique in that their metabolism never down-regulates like a dog's or human's would. They are at high risk of developing something called hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) when they don't get enough food. As well, not eating can make a cat feel nauseous, which then makes it feel like not eating. A vicious circle.

Quote:
Force feeding her is a battle.. and the worst is her fur.. it's all sticky and wet.
Can you wrap her in a towel for the feedings, kinda like a burrito? It might help with some of the mess and any struggling. There's a fantastic Yahoo group that I really think you should join called Feline Assisted Feeding. They will have tons more advice on how to deal with these issues.

Quote:
She thinks I'm punishing her for something when I just.. want her to eat.
Awww, it's tough, I know. You're doing great. Stay positive and keep telling her how much you love her. Try to spend as much non-confrontational time with her as you can.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Last edited by sugarcatmom; September 25th, 2008 at 07:10 AM.