View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:24 AM

Canoeing with dogs

I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experiences canoeing with their dog. We took our black lab, Zeus, canoeing on the weekend. It was quite the adventure We are trying to gradually get him used to this, because he is quite an anxious dog, but he loves spending time with us, and we like to include him in our activities whenever we can. I guess I am just looking for any suggestions as to how to help him relax in the canoe. He settled down on the towel we laid out for him after our journey began, but as is often the case, things did not go quite according to plan. It was a bit windy out, and despite our best efforts, the canoe was pushed to a very shallow part of the lake. My husband had to get out and pull the canoe, at which point Zeus got very upset, and jumped out after him (he had a life jacket on). It was not long before he realized that the water was pretty cold and he wanted to come back into the canoe
I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions... I am not worried about Zeus getting hurt or anything, because we have taken all possible precautions. I am just wondering how we can help him relax. Obviously we would leave him at home if it continues to stress him out, but we love to take him on our adventures with us