View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Cat *really* likes this rug.

My roommate's cat Zee has an unusual fetish for this one particular rug. When it is laid out, she'll sniff it all over at length in intense interest. She also vastly prefers peeing and pooping on it to doing these things in the litter box. The litter box is kept clean, and I don't think it's one of the usual suspects here (stress, etc) because when the rug is rolled up and put away, she uses the litter box normally. It's just when this one rug is available that she goes ga-ga for it.

I've tried spraying the rug down with an enzyme-based cleaner to try to eliminate her old scent from it. I've also had to keep up with her "new additions" while the spray dries. I've heard Comfort Zone by Feliway is good for marking issues, so I'm going to the pet store today to see if they have some, but to be honest I've never heard of a cat doing anything like this before. She has no interest in doing her business outside of the litter box *except* for this damn rug. It's like she's obsessed with it. Even when she's asleep I think she's dreaming about it.

Obviously, the cat is in no danger of us giving up on her; we're mostly amused by this problem of hers, and worst case scenario it's her true love the rug that goes, not Zee herself. But the rug goes with our decorating theme, and we'd like Zee to cut this out if at all possible.