View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
I did hear the simple way to stop it (if its reverse sneezing) while it's happening it to rub the nose...something simple to try...kinda flat handed circular motion... Must do the same as covering the nose...
I've never heard of rubbing thier nose, maybe it works with breeds that have longer muzzles?!? When I asked my breeder why she plugged their nose. She told me that they need to breath through their mouth to make the flap drop. So I guess if rubbing their nose makes them breath through their mouth.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi View Post
While I tend to agree that it sounds much like the "reverse sneeze" thing - that does not explain why it started within a day of getting an intranasal vaccine, when it had not happened even once prior to that.
With a squishy faced breed it was bound to happen sooner or later. We have 10 Shih Tzu's in the family they all do it, thought some more frequently than others. Roxie has a longer muzzle so she rarely does it, maybe once a year. Pixie on the other hand has hardly any muzzle and she does it every couple of weeks. By looking at the pic of your dog he seems to have a longer muzzle, so I doubt this will happen all that frequently, but I"m sure it will happen.

As for it starting after the intranasal vaccine, it probly just happened because the vaccine irritated his nasal passage and made him more prone to reverse sneezes. Our Lana is very short legged so in the spring when there's all that sand on the road from the winter when we go for walks and the the sand gets kicked up, it irritates her nasal passage ways. She gets the reverse sneezes for a bit, until the road sweepers come and clean the road. Many things can cause irritation and when the little flap gets caught, the breath through thier nose to try and get it to drop. It doesn't and they get worked up. So calming them down and pluging their nose works great. I wouldn't worry about it happening after the vaccine it was probly just the irritant started the ball rolling.

Wishing you all the best