Thread: Recall Problems
View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2004, 02:29 PM

recall

I was told that in Flyball, the dog runs to a box, steps on a lever which then shoots out a ball, the dog catches it and brings it back to the handler. The handler then gives him a treat which in Rileys case was a 'tug of war'. Now Riley won't bring any ball back unless he gets that 'treat'. I do play ball with him sometimes but he won't bring it back unless I have the rope and he gets his 'tug of war' game. Am I doing the right thing by always giving him his reward? I just don't know how to get him away from expecting his Flyball reward everytime the ball is thrown. If Riley is loose in the yard, he always comes back when called. Sorry, I should have explained better-hope I did better this time.

I have no problem with Casey bringing back her ball. I was hoping that Riley would see me playing with her and then realize that he wasn't being played with unless he brought the ball but it's not working. He just stands there mouthing his ball. Am I expecting to much? If anyone could help me with this, I'd love some advice. Thanks Marg