View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:56 PM
You can call me DOG!

Kennels for Goldens

Hi Sadie Grace and welcome

When we brought our Golden Retriever home (14 years ago), a kennel just wasn't in her cards. We tried and she HOWLED with the fact of being in it. We did the exact same thing that you did and let her sleep in the bed...just one night though.

My family also had work and school so, we cordoned off the kitchen area instead of the crate. Left a radio on (nothing to heavy, NPR talking was good) and left her with lots of chewy toys. If you choose this method, make sure you "puppy proof" the area first. Absolutely nothing should be left 5 feet under (books, magnets and papers on the fridge, garbage, etc.)

We bought her a new dog bed and that is where she slept for 14 years. Goldens are just too smart, loving and sensitive to try and crate train--that's my opinion.

As far as the peeing...be very vigilant and slightly stern. We took both our puppys outside at least every half hour during the evening and reduced their water intake at 8:00 p.m.

You may not know this but you are very special to have the love and affection of a Golden Retriever. They will be your bestest friend for their entire life

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)