View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauwill View Post
My 3 year old goldendoodle (Ollie) has had nasal discharge for 3 months. Went away for a while on doxy. He's now on 3rd antibiotic Baytril. On it for 8 days and still has discharge. Diagnosed with staph aureus (Not MRSA) vet thinks he may have tumor because "there is some reason he got this". Other vet says probably not because he did x ray and could see pretty far back. Ollie is kind of scrunching his nose but I think he's always done that? Any input from anyone with similar symptoms would be appreciated. I'm worried
I found this thread as my dog is going through similar symptoms. 14 year old terrier mix. Initially the vet gave me meds for kennel cough. At that time, mid December, he did not have anything but minor clear discharge. I suspected it wasn't kennel cough as I have 3 other dogs and none of them had symptoms. After that didn't resolved the issue and continuing with a conservative approach next step was Zyrtec, humidifier, honey and eucalyptus oil. The symptoms got worse as far as sneezing which turned into more of a convulsing with additional discharge with more color to it.

Next step x-rays. These showed minor bronchitis and a cough suppressant was started along with a 30 day dose of prednisone. About 15-20 days into that treatment symptoms getting worse. At this point did a heartworm test just to rule that out. Came back negative and my dog was very symptomatic while at the vet so able to get a sample of the nasal discharge. I left the vet with augmentin. So currently on cough suppressant, prednisone and augmentin.

Over the weekend the results came back and he has a 3 strain staph infection with one strain resistant to anything but an injection that my vet is tracking down. But just being on the augmentin for a week his symptoms have lessened. Vet said that augemtin is attacking 2 of the strains. At no point was cancer ever mentioned to me.