View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Not sure how my statement relates to what you've stated, L4H. My remark is about the irresponsibility of allowing cats to roam and the fact that people who do so, will likely continue to do so.

That's what I agreed with: The fact that people will do what the want and no legislation will change that, including licensing

I don't think the issue is all about wildlife, although I know there is an impact. (I've seen the predation by pets first hand during nesting season in a county park I used to frequent--both stray/feral cats with birds in mouth, and even a lab with a whole nest of warbler chicks in his mouth. That's on top of natural predation.) But still, the issue is not all about the wildlife--the issue is more about the cats and looking for ways to make owners more responsible for them.

You are right, but licensing won't accomplish that.

You've found a way to keep your cats stimulated by supervising their trips outside--that's so much different than allowing them to roam at will and having them run afoul of traffic or predators.
Agree, my point was that the author stated keeping a cat inside is not a prerequisite for being happy. I disagree with that statement because my cats (in fair weather) love going outside and look forward to it more than anything. It also keeps them stimulated.

Did you know that in my township, there is no population of stray animals? That's because it's so dangerous here for them--we have fishers, coyotes, wolves, bobcats and the occasional cougar, any of whom are probably more than willing to take strays. Same as hereSo anyone dumping here or allowing their animal (cat or dog) to roam, is sentencing them to quick death. Much better to encourage them to keep the animals at home and under supervision if outside. If licensing of cats would increase awareness, I'm all for it. If the penalty for allowing them to roam is hefty, so much the better--maybe it will make them think twice before allowing their cat to roam.

but only if the cat has a collar with tags on

I suspect that the truly irresponsible ones will simply remove the tags and allow their cat to roam, regardless. And of course, the dumping will continue. The only dumped cat that I know has survived was the one that made its way into my backyard a few years back. The Pack treed him and it came to me when they were put inside--and he is the only stray cat I know of from this township that has made it to the shelter and been adopted.

But the results Marko mentioned from Calgary are promising. Cutting the euth rate in half is a remarkable beginning.
Is it because of the licensing or because of the wonderful bylaw director that has advocated for low cost spay/neuter clinics, no kill shelters, etc, etc.

My stand is that I don't believe people will change their actions based solely on licensing. People will do want they want to.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey