View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I heard on the radio just this weekend that we do have a law in Wyoming about dogs in the back of trucks. Apparently, they are supposed to be restrained, and the restraint has to be such that they cannot get over the side or tailgate of the truck. The news report said that although the law has been in place since the beginning of the year, it has not been enforced. The report said that the 'grace' period is over and the cops will be enforcing the law now. At a family gathering on Saturday, we were talking about it and we all agreed that it isn't just the risk of the dog falling out, truck rolling, etc., but more the other risks to the dog - getting something in its ears or eyes, too hot, too cold, etc. Then just last night, I was behind a truck with a dog in the back - obviously not restrained. What drew my attention was the fact that this dog was pacing back and forth in the truck, not trying to look over the bed at anything, just pacing. I got the impression that it was an older dog who was either trying to keep his feet cool (it was really sunny yesterday) or if he was so arthritic that he couldn't get comfortable. Of course, I don't know if this was the case but something about the dog made me think it was pretty old, even though I never got a good look at his face. Poor guy.