View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockertail View Post
Was just at the Vet with my 12 year old cocker spaniel and as always they push for teeth cleaning .
What are others thoughts on this?Do you get your dogs teeth cleaned,and how often?
I have had Henry for 3 1/2 years from the SPCA and when I got him, they cleaned his teeth and then 1 1/2 years later the Vet talked me into it again and then today they want me to do it again.The estimate is just under 700.00 each time.At his age is it worth doing it? Are the Vets just pushing something that is not really required, or is it something everyone does all the time?I've had dogs all my life and years ago no one cleaned a dogs teeth .
Absolutely. If teeth need cleaning then I'd get it done. Some dogs need only a light sedation. Even if they need more Vet and human medicine is very advanced and anaesthetic is, still a worry, but not as much in older patients as it used to be. Cockers are a small breed which tend to be longer lived than larger dogs. You might have Henry for several years yet, I hope you do.

My dogs and cats have varied in their needs. OUr first Lab's teeth were never cleaned in all her 14.5 years. I think one of the reasons people always thought she was younger than her age was her sparkling white teeth. Just a lucky dog.