View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:27 PM

Acanthomatous

Hi Golden Angel,
Our mixed breed dog Nicki who is six years old, received the same diagnosis a few weeks ago. I too, did not want to have half of her jaw removed. We looked into radiation therapy (which is done in Pittsburgh), however, she would need to be there 5 days per week for 3-4 weeks. I did some research and found a chemotherapy called bleomycin. I discussed this with our vet and he called me today to say that he is willing to administer it. This is a relatively new therapy and the initial results are positive. It will require 4 weekly injections (into the tumor), but the cost is significantly less $1600 compared to approximately $10,000 for the surgery and as much as $3500 for the radiation (we would also have boarding costs and not be with our dog for 4 weeks). I am feeling hopeful for the first time in a few weeks. There are side effects with the drug, but comparatively speaking they seem to be worth the risk. We live in Western New York, and this seems to be the most viable option for us. I can keep you posted if you would like. I wish all the best for you and your dog.