View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:28 PM

I have issues with one of my dogs barking too. I have tried working with him to fix this behaviour but I unfortuately haven't had any lasting luck. I tried the spray collars but his long fur prevented it from working properly. I didn't try the citronella one as I figured it wouldn't be anymore effective than the plain spray. He knows he isn't supposed to bark at people and stops as soon as you tell him to but that does nothing when I am not at home. I gave up and bought a shock collar, and while that isn't the route a lot of people here would take, it worked... kinda. He knows what it means when the collar goes on and he'll stop barking... take it off and he's back to being a barker.

If he barks non stop while you are not home it may be separation anxiety, which is the problem that would need to be addressed as the barking would most likely a result of the anxiety.

Is your dog crate trained? That might be somewhere to start. Just make sure his crate isn't against a hallway wall so he can't hear people walking out there, or have a radio or a tv playing in the room.

Hope you can find a solution without needing to turn to collars, keep us updated on how it's going

Last edited by Digston; January 12th, 2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Oopsed