View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I just have to say that I like Caesar’s last message after an episode.
'Support your rescues and shelters, and don't forget to spay and neuter'. POWERFUL!!!!!
I have yet to hear anything so positive come from the 'other one'.
I agree whole heartedly. Caesar has done a lot of good for dogs and their people as much and the critics try and deny it. He is a huge advocate for spay/neuter and he states several times on many episodes the importance it plays in reducing sexual/hormonal aggression issues which is one of the big call in's for vets/behaviorists. He advocates shelters and rescues and insists to make a smart pet choice with your head not your heart, and if you can’t then find someone or somewhere who can make a good decision for you based on what you can provide.

I think the biggest reason and claim to the Dog Whisperer show popularity is not the things Caesar does physically, but what he says. He presents clearly the most obvious mistake people make that causes their dogs to be monsters. We anthropomorphize our dogs to a horrendous extent. For all the people who say that watching the show helps so much is not because they learned how to do a perfect correction, but the fact that they started treating their dog as what it is, a dog, not a baby, or a little person. to an extent the people who cannot achieve success with their dogs cannot separate this quality in their minds; their dog is their baby and not a dog. One of the worst cases of this was with the woman who loved her dog so much she would let it attack her son and then protect the dog for it instead of disciplining.
The main point of the show is that your dog is a dog, treat him like a dog, and give him what a dog NEEDS not what a person likes. He doesn’t say you can’t love your dog and have it as your baby just that you have to make sure to fulfill its needs as a dog first and then fulfill your needs as a human.

The Dog Whisperer always has a disclaimer to not try what you see on the show, I have watched At the End of my Leash off the full videos on the Slice site and never saw the same warning. Eventhough I do agree if people are dumb enough to try things on their own without getting training on it that is their own faul but still for legality sake they should announce not to try it.