View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va7oj View Post
My Boxer, Max, has been skunked several times in the past few years. I try to be careful letting him into the back garden on summer evenings, but the encounter with the skunk happens too fast for me to intervene.

I have found Thiotrol Spray Thiotrol Shampoo and another product named Skunk-Off very effective for neutralising the horrid skunk odour. First, I wash Max's face and mouth with the garden hose on a fine spray, then I wash his coat with the shampoo and let it stay on for 10-15 minutes. next, I rinse of the shampoo, dry Max off with a large towel and finally spray his coat with the Thiotrol Spray or with Skunk-Off. The skunk stench is replaced with a sweet, cloying but not unpleasant smell.

Thiotrol Spray and Skunk-Off can also be sprayed on affected clothing, floors and carpets.
Thanks for the tips! I had read through this thread before thinking that I was lucky my doggies hadn't had an encounter with a skunk (yet). However, this morning they definitely did just as I was leaving for work! They get to spend today outside and I will tackle the smell when I get home. Not so worried about my short hair dog but my Golden Retriever/Pyranees might be another story!