Thread: Fish Fight
View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Honestly I'd take back the suckerfish and get some otos. You could probably have 6 and they'd do a wonderful job of cleaning the tank. I have recently discovered they do not exist solely on algae, they also like shrimp pellets and whatever else they find. The trick to introducing them into a tank with a cichlid is to first bag the cichlid, use a leftover fish bag or a clean large ziploc or grocery bag, tie it off with lots of air and float it in the tank, to get the fish in the bag use a tasty treat as bait, works like a dream. Gradually introduce the new fish, if it's otos or cories really take your time, you can do small water changes on the cichlids bag during this time. After you've introduced the new fish allow them some time to explore thye tank, continue changing the water in the bag. Just before releasing the cichlid back into the tank turn off the lights. This reduces stress on the new fish and the cichlid will have a hard time finding the new fish to beat up on. I used this method with my krib after she bullied my otos and it worked great when I introduced the next batch of fish. Highly aggressive fish don't like strangers showing up in their tanks. Another way to do it is to turn out the lights rearrange the tank then in the morning everyone starts fresh.