View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

As a rottweiler owner, I have to ask, did both the sire and the dam of you lovely pup have all of their health checks done? I don't mean the quick trip to the local vet, I mean are their hips, elbows and hearts certified as healthy.

Since I spend a lot of my free time fighting Breed Specific Legislation, I can tell you that not every Tom, Dick and Harry should own a rottweiler. These are strong, powerful dogs that need to be place in a home that has the time, knowledge and CASH to make sure that they have the best dog - behaviourally speaking, on the block. Nothing less will do. For every negative thing on the news that is done by a rottweiler, 100 of us have to do something positive.

I fully expect the breeder that I buy my next puppy from to ask me considerably more questions then I can think of to ask them. I also know that the price they are asking doesn't come close to making up for the money they have spent feeding, training, showing, vetting, grooming, and providing their dogs with a safe environment to live in.

And I don't just want a dog that will look good in the show ring either. The breeder I want a pup from shows in many venues, not just conformation.

I would gladly pay the extra cash to get a dog that is not just good looking but sound in temperment. Your backyard breeder certainly doesn't care.