View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow, it's a fluke that I even read this thread as I've no first hand experience with bloat. But MaxaLisa, I've just gotten some very interesting information from you.

My boy has seasonal environmental allergies and out of the blue we have gone through a very scary Inflammatory Bowel Disease episode. My Lab lost over 20% of his body weight and we were terrified we were going to lose him entirely. Traditional Western Veterinary was not helping at all. Holistic Veterinary, acupuncture and Chinese Medicine is working and I say has saved his life. He is just this morning branching into a more varied diet from his recovery diet of - what? Nothing other than cooked ground turkey and cooked sweet potato. They have to be cooked so we can mix digestive enzymes in, which we are still doing but tapering off on. But this wonderful Holistic Vet (not many of them around) says we can feed the sweet potato raw if we eventually go to a raw diet.

Just a few months ago I would have said my dog's stomach is made of cast iron. He never had issues. Now, in hindsight, I see little wee, tiny clues I overlooked. So I will definitely be checking the cooked or not cooked sweet potato information out. Do you have a link for that?

Oh, and this Vet hates microwaved food. She strongly suggests we cook the sweet potato in the oven, which we do, and oh boy, it's so good I swipe a few fingerfuls myself when it comes out. We are feeding a lot of sweet potato right now so the oven is more expedient anyway.

I saw the more recent thread on Timber this morning, good thoughts for Timber. And Jazz.